On Sunday, LeBron James posted a photo to his Instagram account while wearing a pair of Kobe Bryant’s signature Nike shoes.
“These Mambas are sick! #KobeBean,” LeBron wrote.
Why is this news?
1) It’s weird for a superstar player to wear someone else’s shoes, especially if that player is still active in the NBA.
2) I read a quote a few weeks back from Oklahoma City Thunder beat writer Darnell Mayberry who noted something Brian Shaw said regarding opposing players who wear Bryant’s kicks: “Being on the Lakers, when guys would wear Kobe’s shoes when we were playing against them, he always would, in his mind, feel ‘I got him because he’s wearing my shoes.’”
3) The Lakers play the Heat tonight.
4) These kicks are awesome and it’s just a pretty cool thing for LeBron to do.
5) For the people who like to look into every little detail, one could assume this is a sign that LeBron may be considering the possibility of signing with the Lakers this coming summer.
However, that would be an extreme reach…wouldn’t it?
The truth is LeBron probably just thought that these shoes look great, which they do, and so he decided to show some love for his fellow Nike guy.
Don’t expect LeBron to be wearing these kicks tonight when the Lakers face the Heat.