For the first time since it was announced on Sunday night that Byron Scott would leave the Lakers, the team’s general manager stood in front of a camera and talked about the future.
In an exclusive interview with Time Warner Cable SportsNet’s Chris McGee, Mitch Kupchak spoke about the team’s decision to part ways with Byron Scott after just two seasons, and also mentioned the franchise’s intentions for their fourth coaching search in five years.
If you haven’t got time to watch the videos, the main takeaways are as follows:
- Kupchak and Jim Buss both agreed on the decision to part ways with Scott
- If a change needed to be made, it may as well be now
- There wasn’t just one factor that led to this decision
- The coaching search shouldn’t extend past the draft and free agency
- It will be a wide search, with candidates being interviewed by phone or in person
And if you want to check out the full interview for yourself, here are the videos: